Homemade Gatorade Mix

This is a recipe I originally published on my old blog Texas Tootbloom. The homemade gatorade (homerade!!) entry had lots of hits every week. I was with my mom when she bought a tub of gatorade powder mix this week and that stuff's not cheap. So here's the recipe again.

My kids and I had taste-tested all the experiment stages until we came up with this winner:

1 pkg. unsweetened Kool-ade mix
2 quarts water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt substitute (for the potassium)

Most homemade gatorade recipes that I see online just say "salt" but the potassium in the salt substitute is important to get the electrolytes benefit that a sports drink provides.

We like the lime kool-ade with this mix but the grape was blech. Haven't tried it fruit punch style yet. And the lime comes out that awesome radioactive green. We've also doubled the recipe and used one packet lime and one packet lemon.

I've also seen a lot of recipes call for 1/2 cup of orange juice. They say it's for the citric acid but the kool-aid mix already has the citric acid. So we throw our gatorade together just like you see it above and it's just right.

Grams is sugar in 8 oz.:
Gatorade - 13.6
Homerade - 12.5

Comments

Popular Posts